Marketing Broker, Commercial Lines – Edmonton
Foster Park Brokers Inc. is a truly independent insurance brokerage. As one of Alberta's largest independent insurance brokers, we are able to provide a team focused and rewarding work environment. What makes us different? We strongly believe in cultivating an environment of collaboration, innovation and integrity - key ingredients to our continuous growth. FPB has a supportive environment and believe in a culture that truly embraces work-life balance, allowing you to enjoy your career as well as other important areas of your life (like family and friends)!
Our experience and expertise comes from a talented and enjoyable group of people. We are always searching for those individuals who are passionate about what they do, are customer service driven and believe in working together to achieve results. We offer a great place to work and provide a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits. Plus, we have a positive work environment, where we work hard but we still love to have fun!
If you are interested in joining us, we currently have a Marketing Broker opportunity open in our Edmonton office; here are the details:
The Marketing Broker has the responsibility to obtain the most favorable insurance terms (premiums and coverage) required by the client. As a ‘technical expert’ in commercial underwriting oversee the day-to-day marketing for new business and renewals, as well as, provide guidance and direction on new business, pricing, mid-term changes and renewals to others. Must oversee account placement; required to create new and manage existing insurer relationships for the Company in an effort to promote FPB; required to consult with our Account Executives and Account Managers on any new initiatives and must be able to research projects that are critical to the success of FPB, with the ability to resolve contentious concerns that may impact the Company.
- Examine and contribute to determining the client’s insurance requirements – new business, renewals and changes
- Provide updated loss runs as required from Insurers on assigned renewals and provide this information to the Account Executive and/or Manager
- Document clearly any information necessary to the understanding of the risk
- Discuss/prepare marketing strategy with Account Executive and/or Account Manager
- Keep the account executive informed of any anticipated complications, changes or future problems
- Provide appropriate information to the marketplace in order for them to properly assess the risk
- Ensure discretion and determine an appropriate strategy in presenting information to the markets
- Provide quotations, outlining all changes, sub-limits, exclusions, deductibles, warranties
- Suggest options and/or improvements to existing coverage through knowledge of the insurance products available and knowledge of the various markets
- Provide underwriters with thorough written confirmation of binding instructions
- Request assistance on any anticipated/existing problems
- Review Account Executive and/or Account Manager’s instructions and requests prior to forwarding to underwriters
- Give clear written instructions to the Account Executive and/or Account Manager advising of time frame
- Initiate and maintain good working relationships with underwriters through phone calls, visits and
- Accompany Account Executive or Underwriter as required on external visits.
- Balance relationships with markets
- Attend internal and external training sessions and seminars.
- Maintain and upgrade insurance and market knowledge by reading various articles/journals/ subscriptions.
- Provide information on changes in the marketplace to Account Executives and fellow brokers
- Research and complete special projects or assignments in a timely fashion.
- Work effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems and make decisions that enhance productivity/effectiveness
- Ability to develop good relationships with the insurance markets and internal working relationships
- Anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of clients to meet expectations; and establish/maintain positive working relationships
- Ability to prioritize daily activities and solve work related problems
- Ability to work independently
- Understand AIC, IBAA and other regulatory board expectations and regulations.
- CAIB, CIP, FCIP or other insurance related certification and/or University Degree; Level II AIC General License
- 3 years experience as a Marketing Broker minimum with excellent technical knowledge of working markets
- Prior commercial underwriting experience is an asset
- Computer knowledge (ie. Microsoft Office, Internet, and Outlook), knowledge of TAM an asset
- Excellent technical knowledge of insurance markets
- Office environment
- May be required to travel occasionally
- Must be able to attend social functions after work hours to further develop insurer relationships
- Sitting for long periods of time reviewing documents
- Frequent use of computer system